When you’re looking for a new application dock experience on your iOS 8 device, your options are limited. Fortunately, a new option dubbed Harbor by iOS developer Evan Swick was just released, and it’s looking pretty good.
Harbor is an OS X Yosemite-inspired jailbreak tweak for iOS 8 devices, whether it’s an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, and the dock functions and looks much like the OS X Yosemite dock.
The tweak functions like the OS X Yosemite application dock because you can add almost as many application icons to it as you want. You can then pan through the application icons in your dock by putting your finger over them and sliding it around. As you do so, a magnification effect will take place. All running applications show a slate dot underneath them like they would in OS X Yosemite, as well.
While you are panning through the dock application icons, the one that your finger is on when you let go of the display is the one that opens up. The tweak works in both portrait mode and landscape mode, as shown above. When you have notifications from an application, the application icon corresponding to the notification will bounce in the dock like it would in OS X Yosemite – it will do this whether you’re on the Home Screen or even in an application, as shown below:
You can also customize many of the features of Harbor by visiting the Settings application and configuring the various options to your liking:
Your options here include:
- Enabling or disabling the tweak on demand
- Configuring an animation duration
- Configuring a dock margin
- Configuring a wave height
- Configuring a wave width
- Choosing how much your application icons will bounce when you get a notification
- Enabling or disabling application bounce when you’re in an application
- Making the application dock flush with the edge of the screen
- Hiding or showing the application name of an application when zoomed in
- Hiding or showing the application running indicator dots
- Using the regular background or not
You can check out the developer’s demo video of Harbor below:
Harbor looks to be a very promising new way of bringing cool functionality to the iOS application dock. If you’re interested in giving it a try, it’s available in Cydia’s BigBoss repository for $2.99. The tweak requires iOS 8 to be installed and works on all devices.
Requirements: iOS 8.0-8.1.2
Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1.2
Developer: Evan Swick